To make sure you’re prepared for any possible severe storms this summer, here’s a good checklist:
– Ensure you have safety switches installed and test them regularly
– If you have a generator make sure it is in good working order. You must have a changeover switch installed if you want to use it to power the wiring of your home.
– Turn off your solar power system by following the manufacturer’s instructions before the storm or flood hits
– Make sure you know how to turn your mains power off in case you need to do it in an emergency
– Prepare an evacuation plan that includes where powerlines are on or near your property so you can avoid these while you evacuate
– If anyone in your house relies on electrical equipment for medical reasons, you must have a plan if your power is cut – don’t assume it will be restored quickly.