About Marchant Ward
Marchant Ward has an approximate area of 19 km² and is one of 26 Brisbane City Council wards, located on the Brisbane Northside.
Marchant Ward comprises the suburbs of Alderley, Aspley, Chermside, Chermside West, Geebung, Gordon Park, Grange, Kedron, Lutwyche, Stafford, Stafford Heights and Windsor. The Marchant Ward area has a rich military history, unique environmental habitats, and a wide range of local parks and amenities.
Marchant Ward History
Marchant Ward is named after George and Mary Marchant who were the original owners of a large area of land, now known as Marchant Park. The couple were very influential in the local area and worked with a large number of local organisations.
George and Mary Marchant
George was born in England in 1857 and arrived alone in Australia from Kent in 1873 at 16 years of age. He was employed at an aerated waters factory in Brisbane where he learned the essentials of the business. In 1877 he married Mary Jane Dwyer, a dressmaker. In 1886 they bought a ginger beer manufacturing business in Spring Hill. George invented and patented a bottling machine which became widely used in Australia and overseas.
They expanded interstate with factories in Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Newcastle. A feature of their management was their care of the employees with whom they shared the profits. George and Mary were also extremely supportive of their female employees. The girls received profit bonuses of up to $6 and $8 for the year based on attendance and wages earned.
During a shipping strike in 1890 George chaired several public meetings to raise funds for the strikers. One newspaper referred to him as a capitalist turned socialist; many consider him to be a bit of both.
As lifelong Christians they were interested in the Swedenborg New Church, of which they contributed very generously in Australia. Both of them were committed to improving the welfare of others especially the low paid and the very young.
George and Mary Marchant died in 1941 and 1925 respectively and are both buried in Brisbane. A portion of their fortune was distributed among many Brisbane charities that Mr and Mrs Marchant had supported throughout their lifetime.
In 1899 George and Mary Marchant bought the 40 hectare (100 acre) paddock that is today’s Marchant Park which they used as a spelling area for their delivery wagon horses. During World War I the paddock was extensively used by the Army as a training camp and a remount centre for the Light Horse and returned to the Marchant family in about 1919.
With the end of the war the State Government was encouraging local councils to develop land for public recreation areas so the Kedron Shire Council approached the Marchant family for a 4 hectare (10 acre) section of the paddock for a park.
The gates to the park, erected by public subscription, were dedicated on Saturday 3rd May 1924 to the memory and honour of the 284 Diggers, and one Nurse, who went to the First World War from Kedron Shire; 53 of whom never came home.
In 1927 Marchant Park was fenced and divided into sports fields. About that time a representative of Warehouse Cricket saw the possibilities of using the park for cricket and the Association took up the idea and set out half a dozen ovals. In the following year, 1928, three more ovals were laid out; dressing rooms and a kiosk were built and playing began.
As of 2009, Marchant Park is home to 10 cricket ovals and the game is played all year round with a break at the end of season.
When the Rev H M Wheller was planning a garden settlement for elderly people at Chermside, George Marchant stepped in to help by donating 25 acres and £12,000. His continuing interest and help was such that when the settlement was ready to open on 23rd November 1936 it was decided to name it after Marchant, but he objected to his name being used as part of the Settlement’s name – “leave my name out of it just call it ‘The Garden Settlement’ he commented. Later the name Chermside was added when other Garden Settlements appeared.
In 2009 Wheller Gardens was created, incorporating John Wesley Gardens in Geebung. Wheller Gardens is home to a supportive and close-knit community of around 600 residents. Wheller Gardens has been providing innovative and quality aged care services for 70 years. The facilities and style of care have evolved over time, but the commitment to quality of life remains unchanged.
Streets of Remembrance Project
Brisbane City Council is commemorating the spirit of the ANZACs through the Streets of Remembrance project. As part of the project, Council has placed the Australian Defence Force ‘Rising Sun’ badge on streets which share the same names as people, places or events of historical significance to the Anzac campaign from 1915.
You can find out which Marchant Ward streets hold significance by visiting www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/traffic-transport/roads-infrastructure-bikeways/streets-remembrance